Even though we now live in a digital world where content is more important than ever, lots of business owners are still skeptical when it comes to SEO and SEO best practices. When specialists tell them that this is the way to increase their sales, they wrinkle they nose in disbelief. If you are one of those nonbelievers, allow us to show you the SEO best practices that will rock your world.
4 SEO Best Practices for Improving Sales
#1. Dealing with products that are out of stock
Evidently, it depends on a lot of factors. However, in general, here are the SEO best practices when it comes to this. If you know for sure that the items will be back in stock in a few days, then leave the pages up. Don’t try to delete or hide them, don’t add other products there and don’t redirect your visitors to some other pages. It will only confuse them as well as the search engine.
However, if you truly don’t want to miss on an opportunity for a sale, then you can do one of the following things.
- Suggest the same product but in a different color;
- Recommend a product which is similar;
- Try newer or older models or versions of that item;
- Some similar products but from another brand.
These are some SEO best practices in the sense that you are now going out of your way to provide your clients an outstanding service. Evidently, they will appreciate it and come back to you. Apart from that, these practices will allow search engines to find the relevant pages as per a search and comprehend the way your site is structured a lot better.
You can also do the following:
- Let the customer who made the search know when the product will be back in stock.
- Offer the option of back ordering. If the client is genuinely interested in that product, then he surely will not mind waiting a few more days for it.
- Offer him a discount for making him wait. In this way, you are sure he will come back. Not just for this order, but for others as well.
#2. What about obsolete and expired products?
The important thing you need to keep in mind here is that there is more to just deleting the products and their pages. It is considered to be a bad SEO practice to do only that and then walk away. You will lose the SEO value and then all the people who have bookmarked your page will receive an ‘error’ message of ‘bad URL’ when trying to access it.
As far as the solution goes, it depends on many things. Here are some alternatives.
- Use a 301 permanent redirect to go from a page with the old item you are no longer selling to the new one. In this way, you are telling Google you want this page ranked instead of the old one so that you don’t lose your SEO value.
- Redirect your customers to the ‘parent category.’ Remember your aim here is to please your clients. If you have similar products in your category to the one that expired, lead them there.
- If the above does not stand true and you don’t have any other similar products, then delete the page, all of its content, as well as its URL. Make sure to use a 410 status code, which stands for ‘gone.’ It will notify Google that particular page is not going to come back.
- Reuse your URLs. As far as SEO best practices go, this is a great one. If you happen to be selling some generic products where your model numbers or tech specifications do not matter, then you can easily recycle your URLs. In this way, you can preserve the authority of your page and up your chances of ranking as high as possible in Google.
#3. Season products
When it comes to SEO, seasonal products are a bit hard to work with. Still, that doesn’t mean it cannot be done. What you need to do here is to strengthen their categories. Focus on this and link your seasonal products to the categories. Use links and breadcrumbs which you can add in the descriptions you put on the pages of the products themselves.
Focus on the product pages which you believe have the biggest potential. You should then spend whatever is left of your SEO budget to make the product categories stronger.
If you happen to be launching a very popular product and you are sure there will be quite the demand for it, then you can add a page in the URL structure which says ‘coming soon.’ You can also offer your customers unique content, some pre-order forms for that product, as well as notifications about when the product will be launched.
#4. Product pages which have no unique content or very little of it
Here is why this is such a huge problem. Seeing as an online business is such a great challenge, very few companies take the time to think about unique content on the product pages. Therefore, most of the individual pages for each and every product have very little content or none at all. In fact, a quick search will show you that most of them only have an image of the item and nothing else.
It’s a major issue because you are basically leaving the search engine with no way to comprehend what that page is about. Therefore, it will be difficult for it to use its crawlers and categorize it and then show it in the results when someone performs a search.
If so, here is what you can do about it.
- Evidently, you should add as much content as you can to every single one of your product pages.
- Make sure that content is unique. Do not download it from a database and do not use duplicates. It will lower your ranking value.
- Use Web analytics tools to help you identify which are your best-selling as well as your most beloved products. Update those pages manually.
- If your business is quite large, then it becomes obvious that you cannot invest time, energy, and effort into updating and filling in 200, 000 individual product pages. In this case, you should focus your SEO energy on product parent categories.
Improve the way the architecture of your internal links works, improve the breadcrumbs, and add only the relevant products. You will need them to feed the bots who perform searches and to let them know what your website is referring to.
- Add content generated by users. If you have positive reviews or photos uploaded by your clients, upload them onto your site. Not only will this SEO practice enhance your endeavors, but it will also boost your sales conversions.
The SEO best practices which can maximize your sales are a real thing, and you should start believing in them. There is a lot of work behind maintaining the website of an online business. Don’t lose any time in optimizing it for search engines because your competition surely isn’t.
Image source: 1