Private Internet Access is without a doubt one of the best VPN companies in the business. With an emphasis on security and a strong stance on privacy, the company has won the hearts of many users who want to conceal their online identity. So, it came natural for us to make a Private Internet Access VPN review and present it to you.
Boasting of a military grade encryption, zero-logging, secure tunneling and global server coverage PIS provides more than enough anonymity when on the web and protection against most cyber threats. Following the fact that you can subscribe to the service using Bitcoins only serves to guarantee your anonymity. If you are on the lookout for secure, safe and freedom when roaming the internet, then this Private Internet Access VPN review is a must read.
Why Choose Private Internet Access(PIA)?
- A paid subscription gives you access to over 3,200 servers hosted in 25 countries. With a large number of servers well spread across geographical locations, it’s great for subscribers. This is since they will experience less server congestion. This way the nearby servers you find will be speedier.
- Do note that Private Internet Access withdrew its servers from Russia. This came after unhealthy privacy laws that would compromise user security.
- For its android, windows and mac clients PIA users OpenVPN which is the most secure encryption to date. Aside from this level of encryption Private Internet Access also allows its users to access their very own DNS servers.
- This Private Internet Access VPN review also reveals that this VPN is the software of choice for BitTorrent freaks. Why? It allows P2P file sharing networks. What’s more, the company does not limit the file sharing to specific servers.
- If that’s not enough PiA provides the kill switch feature that prevents leakage of the IP address should be the VPN disconnect or fail. By cutting off the PCs internet connection on selected apps, the PC will be unable to disclose PC info to snoopers.
- Recently, Private Internet Access added a new feature that functions to block pesky or targeted adds. This tool is known as MACE. When you engage it, it stops company trackers from tracking your internet usage. The entire use of ad-block may cause a stir today. This is because many other parties use them to make a living. However, if you don’t like the intrusive ones, PIA is here for you.
Installation and Setup
- For starters, the step of downloading and installing the software is a breeze. The download and installation process literally takes a second.
- Once installed, you will be able to log in using the credentials sent to the purchase email. The Private Internet Access Windows client is clean and minimalist. But do not misjudge this for feature deficiency. As shown above, in this Private Internet Access VPN review, PIA is a fully featured and customizable VPN that has all the top end features. From the Windows client window, the user can access all the settings through the advance button on the bottom left.
- The simple mode the user is allowed to enter the login credentials as well as an option to choose a server from the numerous server locations.
- In advanced mode, you are free to go full on with the encryption preferences. Such additions include port forwarding and the kill switch that are handy features for the more experienced user. In addition to this, the user has access to the DNS and Internet protocol protection on this very window.
- One important fact to note is that the software does not have an automatic update. So you will need to check their website periodically in order to get the latest release.
Pricing & Privacy
Like almost all other VPN reviews this Private Internet Access VPN review reveals three billing options, as usual.
- The least of the lots the monthly plan that goes for $6.95 billed monthly.
- Next is the half-year plan that is billed after every six months and goes for $35.95.
- Finally, the yearly plan for $39.95.
Of course, you get to save more money with increased subscription period with the yearly plan offering the most for your buck. Along the same lines, Private Internet Access does offer payment through PayPal, Google Wallet, CashU, Bitcoin, Amazon and a couple of others. Once you submit your payment, you can use the logins sent with a maximum of 5 devices. It’s good that the VPN supports Android and iOS should you want to browse anonymously on the go.
The core basics of privacy and security are fully delivered by Private Internet Access. When Studying this Private Internet Access review it quickly comes to surface that:
- The three tunneling protocols are available;
- They can be interchanged depending on the usage of the subscriber.
VPNs always have a knack of reducing your internet browsing speeds. The latency and speed drops are different for every VPN due to a number of reasons.
- For domestic tests, the latency of Private Internet Access increased latency by up to 13 per cent. This is rather higher than close competitors’ numbers. The download speeds, on the other hand, reduce by 6.1 per cent.
- Internationally, this is where it takes a toll for most VPN softwares. Latency for download speeds increases significantly by registering slightly over 300 per cent. The download speeds are also affected, and the latency levels are at 14 per cent.
- Other VPNs have recorded better. But like we have said earlier in this Private Internet Access VPN review the latency depends on many factors. These include the location of server and congestion levels among other reasons.
- On mobile devices, the VPN still grants the user nimble control over some features. They are the DNS-level protection, the MACE tools, and ad-blocker. Though not supported on the iOS Split tunneling is a feature available on Android devices.
As we have seen in this Private Internet Access VPN review, the software manages to deliver a solid performance. It also continues to maintain a good reputation for upholding privacy. If you can overlook the over minimalistic interface, inability to peg to a specific server Private Internet Access is one of the best VPNs you can find at a very competitive price.
If for some reason you cannot commit to the subscription, PIA offers a 7-day trial period that you can use to assess the service before pledging your money. Being a really good VPN software as is, the Private Internet Access only has to adjust a few bits and pieces to be at the top of the pile.