A United Stated based VPN, IPVanish manages to deliver on all the important departments; privacy, speed, and security. It is one of the household names in the VPN business. Also, IPVanish VPN has all the bells and whistles you would expect at the highest level.
The VPN boasts of some useful features including, IP address cycling, a kill switch, BitTorrent support and zero logs. While other VPNs are looking to woo their customers by being price leaders, IPVanish does this by ensuring quality service. If adverts are anything to go by, their website also claims that it’s the world’s fastest VPN.
Why Use IPVanish?
- One of the distinctive features of the VPN is that it allows P2P file sharing. This means that BitTorrent and TOR are not restricted on the network. They do not keep any metadata logs. However, they do tell their users to respect the law.
- Secondly, the VPN is a favorite among Kodi users. Unfortunately, it does not have support for Netflix streaming services. The Kill switch and DNS leak protection are nothing new in the market. But it’s wonderful to know that IPVanish has the feature should the VPN drop out accidentally. It also includes the NAT Firewall protection for subscribers to prevent exploitation by hackers and botnets.
- While the software has automated installers for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices the company still provides more. IPVanish VPN has manual configurations for the Windows Phone, Chrome OS, Ubuntu, and even supporting routers. This is still a welcoming feature today. Now, companies are too big for their clients. So, IPVanish has support services at your beck and call 24/7 through email.
How IPVanish VPN Works
With assured quality services, IPVanish is not the cheapest VPN in the market today. The company offers three plans; monthly, yearly and a 3-month plan. As always there is a bigger discount for the longer payment plans.
- The annual plan goes for $77.99 billed at the end of every year;
- The three-month plan priced at $26.99 billed every three months;
- The monthly plan is $10.00 per month.
The company offers a 7- day money-back-guarantee within which you get a refund if you are not satisfied with the product.
A wide array of payment methods are supported including Bitcoin, PayPal, Credit Card. A single subscription of whatever period allows up to five devices to connect simultaneously. IPVanish is available for all major operating systems; Windows OS, Mac users, and Android. IPVanish VPN does not advertise any free trial product with any of its products but has one in the iOS app.
2. Privacy and Security
IPVanish VPN brings along all the necessary secure encryption protocols. The company implements the strongest VPN encryption available today; OpenVPN. The Company uses the 256-bit AES encryption merged with SHA-256 for authentication purposes. For handshaking, the security is built around RSA 2048 which is highly robust. Add this military grade encryption to shared IPs and a zero log policy and you are guaranteed of going truly incognito.
In addition, to the best encryption services in the market, the VPN also provides a masking technology where you can obfuscate VPN traffic to look like regular internet traffic. The DNS server and leak protection built-in is dubbed the kill switch that serves to protect the user even when the server of software fails for a second or two.
However, the fact that the company is within the US does raise some concerns regarding privacy with the NSA and CIA compromising prying for intelligence. For the record, no one has ever been sent tojail following info recovered through IPVanish VPN. So, until that happens, this VPN is a safe bet.
Right off the bat, IPVanish VPN is impressive with a small setup file.
- A dark, wonderful minimalist interface with shades of green and gray will greet you.
- On the dashboard, you get to see your current IP address settings, server list, and an on/off switch.
- On the server tab, there are some nifty tools such as connecting to the last server, connecting to the fastest server.
- Other additions including filtering through the servers by country, keyword or ping speeds.
Most of the basic setting will start off with the windows startup. But for the advanced features such as the kill switch and split tunneling, you’ll need to dig a little bit deeper. Moreover, it has over 40, 000 IP addresses and over 700 servers. The software allows the subscriber to automatically change the IP address periodically for maximum privacy. It is important to note that the system has to disconnect and reconnect during this procedure. However, it all depends on the interval set.
4. Safety and Speed
Once online and with a connection, you can be tranquil that your true IP remains hidden. The VPN did pass all our tests in trying to reveal the PC’s real IP address. Speed wise IP Vanish VPN performance was rather interesting at times. It did manage to perform over five times, in comparison with rival VPNs. But overall, the only VPN that beat the scores were with Private Internet Access. Without a VPN our test software gave a reading of 250 Mbps downloading and an upload speed of 12 Mbps.
Connected through the IPVanish VPN the speeds were at 93 Mbps downloading and 11 Mbps uploading. Private Internet Access, on the other hand, managed to pip IPVanish by a small margin. The margin is 126 Mbps download speeds and 11 Mbps upload speeds. This test does not expressly indicate that Private Internet Access is the faster VNP. Yet, it does place the two among the best VPN speeds.
Established in 2012 IPVanish VPN offers staggering quality for a young company. There is still much room for growth for the company, especially in the app department. While the pricing may be an issue for many, the company has placed itself as a money minded position but fittingly delivers ultra-fast speeds and unparalleled security.